The Financial Side to Divorce

This is referred to as Financial Remedy (formerly Ancillary Relief) and means deciding how to share the matrimonial assets and may in turn affect where the children (if any) will live.

The first step for both parties is to give full disclosure of their financial position. This is generally done by completing a Financial Statement – Form E.

Financial disclosure includes the following:-


a) The value of the former matrimonial home, or any other freehold or leasehold properties, time shares and mobile homes;

b) Bank accounts, savings accounts, PEPS, Tessas, stocks and shares, endowment policies, insurance policies and the value of any personal items individually worth more than £500;

c) Pensions; and

d) Business assets.


a) Wage slips, P60’s, State Benefits e.g. Income Support, Tax Credits, Child Benefits; and

b) Rental Income


Current outgoings and possibly future anticipated outgoings. These may be relevant in deciding whether spousal maintenance should be paid.


All debts owed need to be disclosed including mortgages; loans for any purpose; hire purchase agreements and any credit card debts. If all debts are not disclosed the Court may believe you have more assets than you actually do.

Court Procedure

a) Either party (provided divorce proceedings have been issued) can file at Court a Notice of Intention to Proceed with an Application for Financial Remedy in Form A.

b) Once the application is issued the Court will set a date for the First Appointment. This must be neither less than 12 weeks nor more than 16 weeks after the date of the filing of the Notice.

c) Four weeks before the First Appointment the parties must file at Court and exchange with each other sworn Statements of their financial circumstances in Form E together with supporting documents. The Form E will require the financial disclosure set out above.

d) Two weeks before the First Appointment the parties must file with the Court and exchange with each other various ‘Practice Documents’. This is information to assist the Court with the important dates (Chronology), any matters that are contested or have been agreed (Statement of Issues), any questions that the other party needs to answer as a result of the disclosure they have provided in Form E and/or request for missing documents (Questionnaire) and a Form G – this sets out whether the parties are in a position to negotiate at the Hearing, with a view to reaching an agreement or not.

e) At the First Appointment the Judge will either give Directions to bring the matter to the next stage, a Financial Dispute Resolution Hearing (FDR) or, if the parties are ready, perhaps through negotiations prior to or at the hearing, a Final Order may be made.

f) At the Financial Dispute Resolution hearing the Court encourages the parties to negotiate and settle. If an acceptable settlement is brokered the Court may make a Final Order. If no agreement is reached the Court will set the matter down for a Final Hearing.

g) A Final Hearing is where a Judge will decide how the matrimonial assets are to be divided. The Judge’s decision is legally binding upon all parties and the only ground for appeal is if the Judge has applied the law incorrectly and not simply because either party is unhappy with the decision. It is highly unusual for matters to reach a Final Hearing and everything will be done by the Court and the parties’ legal representatives to limit costs and reach an agreement.

The likely cost of contested finance proceedings is usually between £10,000 – £15,000, plus VAT and disbursements and depends on the value of the financial assets, their location and the ease or difficulty in obtaining full financial disclosure and settlement.

Possible Final Court Orders Relating to Finance:-

The terms of any financial settlement will vary depending on the circumstances of each case and the Court has a wide discretion to make a variety of Orders. Some examples of the types of Orders are set out below:-

a) House sold (Order for Sale) and net proceeds split 50/50 and other assets split 50/50.

b) Total assets split 50/50 and one party continues to maintain the other (Spousal Maintenance) until a certain specified event occurs.

c) Total assets split 60/40, 75/25, 70/30 etc. depending on the nature of the assets, the contribution each spouse has made, the parties’ ages, earning capacities and any physical or mental disabilities.

d) Home transferred to one party (usually the person looking after the children) in full and final settlement with no maintenance for that party but agreed maintenance for the children.

e) Home transferred to one party and the other party has a ‘Charge’ on the property for his or her share to be paid upon sale, which he or she will receive when a certain specified event occurs, such as: the party owning the property voluntarily leaves it, dies or remarries or any children leave full time education.

Everyone’s circumstances are different and a Court will try to be fair to both parties. In particular a Court will try to house both parties where possible and especially the person continuing to look after the children.

However the Court must take account of the following:

  • the income, earning capacity, property and other financial resources which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
  • the length of the marriage;
  • the financial needs, obligations or responsibilities which each of the parties to the marriage has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
  • the standard of living enjoyed by the family before the breakdown of the marriage;
  • the age of each party to the marriage and the duration of the marriage;
  • the contribution that each of the parties has made or is likely in the foreseeable future to make to the welfare of the family;
  • any physical or mental disability of either of the parties to the marriage; and
  • rarely, the financial conduct of each of the parties during the marriage and/or the divorce proceedings.

The Court will start at the point of equality (50/50) and this will vary depending on each parties needs and whether or not there are children.

In a short marriage (i.e. less than 10 years) where there are no children then the Court would look at the parties financial positions prior to the marriage and any particular contribution either party has made and where possible return the parties to the position they were in before the marriage.

Making a Will

Generally you should make a Will, as this confirms your intentions of how you would want your assets/belongings to be divided after your death.

A Will is generally revoked by remarriage and therefore upon remarriage you must consider whether or not you need to make a new Will. In any event you should review your Will every few years to ensure it reflects your current wishes.

If you need to make a Will or review your current Will, then please do not hesitate to contact a specialist in our Lifetime Planning Department.

Talk to one of our team today:
0800 633 5543

Get in contact with us today...
Hill & Abbott will not pass your details on to any third party company or organisation.

Burgundy Court
64-66 Springfield Rd

01245 258 892

Connect with us.